Famous Artists Quote - Inspirational Art Quotes
Famous Artist Quotes - This page is a growing
collection of inspirational and motivational quotes by famous
artists who have shaped the history of art. You'll find selection
of great quotes from many master artists and painters including
Vincent van Gogh, Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci,
Georgia O'Keeffe, Ansel Adams, Gustav Klimt, Claude Monet and
Vincent van Gogh Quotes >> Famous Artists
- The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting
- My opinion is that the best thing would be to work on till
art lovers feel drawn toward it of their own accord, instead
of having to praise or to explain it.
- Nature always begins by resisting the artist, but he who really
takes it seriously he will not be put off by that opposition.
- Painting is like having a bad mistress who spends and spends
and it's never enough ... I tell myself that even if a tolerable
study comes out of it from time to time, it would have been
cheaper to buy it from somebody else.
- There are colors which cause each other to shine brilliantly,
which form a couple which complete each other like man and woman.
- The fisherman knows that the sea is dangerous and the storm
terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient
reasons for staying ashore.
Salvador Dali Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it.
- People love mystery, and that is why they love my paintings.
- The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a
rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly
- Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility
of cheating. It is either good or bad.
- Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
- No masterpiece was ever created by a lazy artist.
Pablo Picasso Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an
artist once he grows up.
- The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all
over the place; from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of
paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web.
- For those who know how to read, I have painted my autobiography.
- We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes
us realize the truth, at least the truth that is given to us
- God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe,
the elephant, and the cat. He has no real style. He just keeps
on trying other things.
- The people who make art their business are mostly imposters.
Claude Monet Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- It's on the strength of observation and reflection that one
finds a way. So we must dig and delve unceasingly.
- It took me time to understand my waterlilies. I had planted
them for the pleasure of it; I grew them without ever thinking
of painting them.
- I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.
- Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment.
- People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were
necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love.
- The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my
M.C. Escher Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- The things I want to express are so beautiful and pure.
- I believe that producing pictures, as I do, is almost solely
a question of wanting so very much to do it well.
- Only those who attempt the absurd...will achieve the impossible.
I think...I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs
- I've been doing this kind of work for over fifty years now,
and nothing in this strange and frightening world seems more
pleasant to me.
- Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?
- What I give form to in daylight is only one per cent of what
I have seen in darkness.
Ansel Adams Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found
that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph
- Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer
- and often the supreme disappointment.
- When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs.
When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels,
in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.
- You don't take a photograph, you make it.
- There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good
Gustav Klimt Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- All art is erotic.
- Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which
alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures
and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.
- I have never painted a self-portrait. I am less interested
in myself as a subject for a painting than I am in other people,
above all women.
- Today I want to start working again in earnest - I'm looking
forward to it because doing nothing does become rather boring
after a while.
Wassily Kandinsky Quotes >> Famous Artists
- An empty canvas is a living wonder .. far lovelier than certain
- Abstract art places a new world, which on the surface has
nothing to do with 'reality,' next to the 'real' world.
- The more frightening the world becomes ... the more art becomes
- The true work of art is born from the 'artist': a mysterious,
enigmatic, and mystical creation. It detaches itself from him,
it acquires an autonomous life, becomes a personality, an independent
subject, animated with a spiritual breath, the living subject
of a real existence of being.
- The artist is not a 'Sunday child' for whom everything immediately
succeeds. He does not have the right to live without duty. The
task that is assigned to him is painful, it is a heavy cross
for him to bear.
- I value those artists who embody the expression of their life.
Leonardo da Vinci Quotes >> Famous Artists
- A good painter has two main objects to paint, man and the
intention of his soul. The former is easy, the latter hard as
he has to represent it by the attitude and movement of the limbs.
- Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and
in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the
vigors of the mind.
- Art is never finished, only abandoned.
- I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is
not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must
- Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in
the hope of pulling out an eel.
- The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work
Henri Matisse Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- If it is practiced by a man of taste, the photograph will
have the appearance of art (but) the photographer must... intervene
as little as possible, so as not. to lose the objective charm
which it naturally possesses.
- Truth and reality in art do not arise until you no longer
understand what you are doing and are capable of but nevertheless
sense a power that grows in proportion to your resistance.
- Creativity takes courage.
- The portrait is one of the most curious art forms. It demands
special qualities in the artist, and an almost total kinship
with the model.
- Work cures everything.
- There are always flowers for those who want to see them
Georgia O'Keeffe Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant.
It is what I have done with where I have been that should be
- I feel there is something unexplored about woman that only
a woman can explore.
- The days you work are the best days.
- A hill or tree cannot make a good painting just because it
is a hill or a tree. It is lines and colours put together so
that they say something. For me that is the very basis of painting
- You get whatever accomplishment you are willing to declare.
- To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.
Mark Rothko Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship
of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing
basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.
- The fact that people break down and cry when confronted with
my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions..
the people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious
experience I had when painting them
- Art to me is an anecdote of the spirit, and the only means
of making concrete the purpose of its varied quickness and stillness.
- Silence is so accurate.
- Since my pictures are large, colorful, and unframed, and since
museum walls are usually immense and formidable, there is the
danger that the pictures relate themselves as decorative areas
to the walls.
- Small pictures since the Renaissance are like novels; large
pictures are like dramas in which one participates in a direct
Diego Rivera Quotes >> Famous Artists Quotes
- The painter can and must abstract from many details in creating
his painting. Every good composition is above all a work of
abstraction. All good painters know this. But the painter cannot
dispense with subjects altogether without his work suffering
- If I ever loved a woman, the more I loved her, the more I
wanted to hurt her. Frida was only the most obvious victim of
this disgusting trait.
- Only the work of art itself can raise the standard of taste.
- To be an artist, one must . . . never shirk from the truth
as he understands it, never withdraw from life.
- Never before had a woman put such agonizing poetry on canvas
as Frida did at this time in Detroit.
Follow us on